Quick Email

Your email address


website design: wrathweb
Tel: 07801 294376
email: info@part-L-surveys.co.uk

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Privately Rented Domestic Properties

What is MEES?

Under the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015, from the 1st April 2018, it is unlawful to let out domestic properties which have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of F or G


Who is affected?

From the 1st April 2018, the regulations will apply to landlords / property owners upon granting a lease to a new tenant, or lease renewals to an existing tenant. In order to comply, all properties must meet MEES by undertaking permissible, appropriate and cost-effective improvements, unless exempt. The regulations will apply to all privately rented properties within the scope of the regulations from the 1st April 2020.


What are the penalties?

Fines of up to 5,000 can be enforced, depending on the type of infringement and the length of non-compliance. A tenant can raise a case with the First-Tier Tribunal General Regulatory Chamber if they feel a landlord is non-compliant.


What to do next

You will need an EPC before the next time they let out a property

You must be able to achieve an E rating, OR can achieve an E rating by 2018, if the rental terms are changing, or likely to change

Call or email now to have your property assessed for MEES compliance.

Common Terms

BCO: Building Control Officer

BER: Building Emission Rate

BRUKL: Building Regulations United Kingdom Part L

DEC: Display Energy Certificate

DER: Dwelling Emission Rate

EPC: Energy Performance Certificate

MEES: Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

SAP: Standard Assessment Procedure

SBEM: Simplified Building Energy Model

TER: Target Emission Rate

Tel: 07801 294376email: info@part-L-surveys.co.ukPLSnewwebheader3